Intro to the Metal Lathe is a new “Special topic” CNC class and focuses specifically on the use of the Metal Lathe in Manual (and CNC!) Mode. The lathe is one of the most beautiful and useful tools in the workshop. When properly trained it is a joy to work with. This class will impart the love of turning to you by preparing you with the following skills:
- How to Practice Metal Lathe Safety (Attire, Practices, and Testing)
- How to Plan Design and Making on a Lathe
- Understanding the Different Types of Lathe Operations (eg Drilling vs Turning and many others)
- Prepare, Select and Use Lathe Turning Tools appropriately
- Tricks for acheive for acheiving high tolerance parts and beautiful surface finishes
- Specific Techniques for Working with different metals, and non metal materials
At the end of this class you’ll be certified to work on 9 x 20 CNC / Manual Dual Mode Lathe.
We will also discuss advanced techniques like Threading (Making Custom Screws).
No prerequisites, but it is suggested to take CNC 1: Introduction to 3 Axis Milling first to understand the basics of metal and machine tools before taking this course.
18 and up.
To purchase a ticket please go to the relevant eventbrite link here:
*Makerspace members are entitled to a 30% discount. See your monthly newsletter for discount code
To ensure that spaces aren’t taken up by people who wont be able to make their classes, there are NO REFUNDS offered for any of our official classes (this may or may not include classes organized by 3rd parties which are hosted in our space). If you are not able to make it to a class please contact us and we will credit you for a space in another class.
MEMBERS MUST CHECK THEIR EMAIL FOR THE MONTHY DISCOUNT CODE. If a member buys a class ticket without entering the correct discount code we are not able to retroactively apply the discount. Codes are sent out every month and member discounts are not applied without manually inputting the code. If you are at all unsure about the discount code or discount process please contact us before buying a ticket.